CPR Instructor Course
It is very important to review our instructor packets in their entirety before registering for the course. We offer two different instructor courses: CPR Basic Life Support Instructor -or- Heartsaver CPR AED First Aid Instructor. To view our instructor packets and determine which type of instructor you would like to be, please click here:
CPR Basic Life Support Instructor Packet
Heartsaver CPR AED First Aid Instructor Packet
If the above link is not working, please click here for the CPR Basic Life Support Instructor Course Information: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18COwWx4BnghThJol39xpvKpKYusbrcg_/view?usp=sharing
If the above link is not working, please click here for the Heartsaver CPR AED First Aid Instructor Course Information: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qot_WpcsbyJlLgjUeku-91lvfMcK8h_T/view?usp=sharing
Please see below and the instructor packets above to gain a better understanding of the different types of instructor certifications. It is important for all instructor candidates to know the differences in the American Heart Association instructor types, and which one best fits your background.
Determining which type of instructor you will be is the very first step in the instructor candidate process
This is an American Heart Association CPR or Heartsaver Instructor class. Students can choose to become a BLS Instructor or Heartsaver Instructor. BLS Instructors must be healthcare providers and/or have the knowledge of working in a healthcare setting. BLS Instructors can teach all of the Heartsaver classes including First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens. Please see below for information regarding the instructor course. The cost of the instructor course is $300. This does not include all additional costs required to become an instructor.
What are the pre-course requirements for the instructor course?
There are several pre-course requirements that MUST be completed/submitted before coming in for the instructor course:
1. Register and pay for a scheduled instructor course. We usually only offer the instructor course once per month and the date varies. If you do not see a date on our website, that means we are not offering a course for the current month or it has already taken place. We do not accept walk-ins for the instructor course.
2. Email us your valid identification - including driver's license, passport, or other government ID.
3. Email us your up-to-date resume so that we can ensure that you have the experience and knowledge necessary to become an instructor. We also recommend that you have knowledge of basic computer skills and teaching to become an instructor.
4. Email us a copy of your provider card in the necessary discipline (for more information on this, please see the packet) - this would be either the Basic Life Support (BLS) provider card or Heartsaver CPR AED First Aid provider card. If you are not already certified, please reach out to us and we can get your course scheduled to receive a provider card.
5. Email us the "Instructor Essentials" online course certificate. Again, this should be in the necessary discipline; please see the packet for more information. You will need to purchase the correct Instructor Essentials through the AHA website. The links can be found in the packet.
6. Purchase the instructor manual in the necessary course discipline(s). Please review the packet for information regarding where to purchase this. This instructor manual(s) must be brought to class with you. The links can be found in the packet.
After I have completed/submitted/purchased all pre-course requirements, what is next?
1. Attend the scheduled instructor course at Health Street. Expect the class to be 5-6 hours long. It is a one-day course. We do not accept walk-ins for the instructor course.
a. We only have one location - 1710 S Dairy Ashford Rd #207, Houston, TX 77077. Do not forget to bring all submitted instructor paperwork and the instructor manual(s) with you!
b. Please bring a laptop to the course as we will be helping you setup your login for Enrollware and the AHA Atlas.
2. Upon successful completion of the instructor course, the student must attend & participate in one (1) instructor monitoring session. We will help you schedule this when you attend the instructor course. It must be scheduled & completed within 6 months of the instructor course date. The monitoring session will allow the student to assist in teaching one of our regularly scheduled classes and be evaluated as an Instructor. The student will be evaluated by an approved faculty member.
I have attended the instructor course and completed my instructor monitoring session, what should I expect now?
After you have completed all requirements to become an instructor, you will be issued an AHA instructor card and will be able to teach classes on your own schedule and in your own location! Health Street will only be involved with issuing your cards, keeping you updated on changes in AHA guidelines, and answering any questions you may have. You are required to purchase your cards through us. The cost of the cards is $7-$21/card, depending on which type of card you need.
How do I maintain my instructor certification?
In order to qualify to be recertified as an instructor every two years, the instructor will need to complete/submit the following:
1. An updated AHA provider card in the necessary discipline
2. Proper documentation of at least four (4) classes available in Enrollware for Health Street to review.
3. Renew your instructor certification every two years with Health Street.
4. Maintain and provide an up-to-date valid identification.
5. Maintain American Heart Association standards of teaching and ethics.
6. Keep up to date on American Heart Association & Health Street communications, especially when the AHA updates guidelines (every 4-5 years)
*At Health Street, it is very important to us that we offer clear expectations of what is required of our outside instructors. All requirements must be completed within six months from the date of your instructor course. If you do not complete all requirements within the 6-month deadline, you will be deactivated from the Health Street Training Center and you will need to start over with the program (including costs). It can be very expensive and time-consuming to be an instructor. It is recommended for each instructor candidate to do their research before attending the instructor course. Health Street does not provide any equipment and we do not rent out equipment to outside instructors. It is up to the sole instructor to provide all necessary materials for their classes after fulfilling the instructor certification. More information can be found in the instructor packet.